Patch management is the method your organization uses to keep end-users’ software up to date and secure.
Patch Management Definition
For organizations dealing with an increasingly remote solution for work and education, patch management is a must-have. This process allows IT administrators like you to keep your end user’s devices up to date by automatically deploying all missing patches.
What Is The Purpose Of Patching?
Patching a laptop, tablet, or cell phone is essential for keeping your organizational and personnel data secure. Deploying patches protects against vulnerabilities present in older software versions by helping plug those security gaps. Proper patching also helps you preserve software functionality and compatibility to ensure that end users can complete their essential tasks.
Patch Management Best Practices
Patch management is essential for organizations of all sizes to enhance their cybersecurity practices. Best practices for your patch management include:
- Understanding how important patch management is for defending against cyber attacks.
- Moving quickly to deploy needed patches to end users’ devices.
- Testing patches to ensure compatibility with current software deployments.
- Exploring automated solutions to save IT Administrators’ time and preserve end user productivity.
What To Look For In A Patch Management Solution?
How can a busy IT professional like you identify the right patch management solution for their organization? While needs vary between different industries and structures, some common functions can serve as guidance. Any patch management solution you’re assessing should be able to:
- Deploy patches across all major operating systems, including macOS, Windows, iOS, iPadOS, ChromeOS, and Android.
- Provide automated functionality to save time.
- Offer reporting and sorting of devices based on current patch statuses.
- Deploy patches to both OS and third-party applications.
FileWave’s multi-platform endpoint management solution bundles a patch management solution along with other key device management tools. Working from one convenient tool, you can complete their work quickly and effectively, without having to navigate multiple programs. See the FileWave difference in action today.